'/' in filenames (was: How to display file names)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Mon Dec 15 17:05:46 GMT 2003

Christian Mueller wrote:
>So I gained the ability to use slashes in a file name on the KDE level,
>but I lost the constistency between GUI and command line.
>That seems strange to me... is this a general policy?

According to David in his other e-mail, it is in fact the intended behaviour.
But I think it needs a bit of revision because it's inconsistent. I, for one,
would oppose allowing '/' in filenames because it creates other
inconsistencies.

It appears that all your problems are caused by the same root cause: special
treatment of % in filenames. This causes:

filename: blah / foo
full path: /tmp/blah %2F foo
(you can't use / in the full path because it's already used for the separator)
prettyURL: file:/tmp/blah %252f foo
url: file:/tmp/blah%20%252ffoo
(or do URLs get %2f instead of %252f? For consistency, maybe prettyURL should
but not url)

Is '/' the only character being specially encoded or do we have stuff like
that for '\0', control characters, etc.?
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom at mail.com
    ICQ UIN: 1967141   PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358