Message forwarded from Danalien

Dan Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Sat Dec 6 13:16:26 GMT 2003

On Saturday 06 December 2003 11:58, Andras wrote:
> I do something like this to detect if KDE is 3.1.9x or older in a
> configure.in.in:
>
> KDE_VERSION=""
> AC_MSG_CHECKING(for KDE version)
> KDE_VERSION=`kde-config --version | grep KDE`
> AC_MSG_RESULT("$KDE_VERSION")
> if test "x`echo $KDE_VERSION | grep 3.1.9`" = "x"; then
>     echo "The KDE version is too old, WYSIWYG mode disabled!"
> fi

dear, andras.

What you are doing there, is an 'explicit version check'. Meaning, that if the
user got anything else that's higher than the version you are 'greping' for,
it'll still *bork bork*, (like 3.2.0 , 3.2.1, ... 4.1.0 ;-) ...), and at the
same time give the illusion that it works fine with anyting lower, but the
matter of the fact is that it's *borking* because it didn't find the exact
version you are greping for ;-).

And nothing we could use, as we are bound to have people useing not exact the
same version of kde in the future (some, 3.2.0, other 3.2.1 other
3.2.2...4.1.0 :) etc).

Our way, we set a 'barrier' that their kde version has to pass, if it does
then fine, else, they'll get a message to update to atleast equal or a higher
version then what is required.

//danalien

--
..Dan // Leinir..