eGroupware resources in KDE3.2

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Sat Dec 6 20:42:23 GMT 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 09:29:09PM +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Saturday 06 December 2003 00:57, Tobias Koenig wrote:
Hi Cornelius,

> > I'd like to ask here if it would be possible to add the XMLRPC
> > resources to CVS HEAD (currently located in
> > kdelibs/kabc/plugins/xmlrpc and kdepim/libkcal in egroupware_branch).
>
> I think these resources should go to a common place instead of being
> distributed over two CVS modules. My suggestion would be to put them
> both into a directory kdepim/kresources/egroupware.
Hmm fine with me, so they can share xmlrpciface.cpp together as well.

> > The code compiles and works fine in my test case with the
> > egroupware server at egroupware.org. Since the code is compiled as
> > resources there won't be any additional bugs (as long as you do not
> > use the plugins ;)) so it won't hurt the freeze much IMHO.
>
> Does it add new strings?
Yes, the configuration dialogs.

> > I think having at least one groupware solution in the official KDE
> > 3.2 release would also be good for PR (since the Kolab integration
> > will come foremost in a later 3.2.X release).
>
> Have you tried it with a real eGroupware setup? The test server at
> egroupware.org and the setup at LinuxWorldExpo in Frankfurt weren't
> very realistic environments. I wonder, if the resources still work
> satisfactory if you have thousands of contacts and appointments.
I guess with thousands of contacts it won't perform very good because
of the concept of the resource framework (libkcal and libkabc...) to
load all data at once... for small companies it should do the job.

> If the resources work under real-world conditions in a way which is
> useful I'm in favor of adding them to HEAD now. But just adding them
> for the sake of having support for a groupware server wouldn't be the
> right thing.
It's not just that, but more people cloud have a look at them and help
on fixing bugs ;)

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Can a government that shoots at reporters be democratic?
Separate politics from religion and economy!