PATCH: Cookies for fully-qualified subdomains

Daniel Martin daniel.martin at pirack.com
Fri Dec 5 08:55:41 GMT 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 01:43, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Also a leading www is omitted by more and more sites because it's really
>  unnecessary. After all the protocol is defined by the port and not by
> the prepended www.

  That's right, but please note that the prepending www applies for a
hostname, and not for a protocol (although it is informative enough).
You may have foo.com, ns1.foo.com and ns2.foo.com as your DNS servers
(where ns1.foo.com is just the very same machine as foo.com), while
keeping ftp.foo.com and www.foo.com on another two different machines.
This way, pointing to http://foo.com would result to an error
(practically stoopid, I know, but very possible). Much like
http://ftp.foo.com, if the DNS points to the same machine.

  Regards,
    Daniel M. Lambea