KFilterDev bug?

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Wed Dec 3 20:47:35 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 09:58, David Faure wrote:
> So you're opening KFilterDev on non-existing files? That's obviously the
> cause for the warnings (but not for the mem consumption).

Yeah I know, sorry! I worked that out by using ddd.

> > you have a quick look at
> > kdebase/kcontrol/kfontinst/lib/CompressedFile.cpp and see if I'm doing
> > something stupid.
>
> The code looks fine at first sight, but see below.

Hmm... how strange then.

> > Would there be a problem with me just changing the code back to using
> > zlib directly (it used to originally - about 2 years ago)? Seems a lot
> > more efficient - especially seeing as I have 1892 bitmap fonts in one
> > directory.
>
> In the case that works, above, did you see any high mem consumption?
> How big is the "len" parameter in read()?

No high-mem consumption. I think the size was about 24-30meg. Sounds high, but
probably a lot of this is the qt and kdelibs. Certainly no where near the
300meg when using KFilterDev.

The length to read() varies - most calls are 4 bytes, but there's one call to
read a string which depends on the string length.

> Yes, there would be a problem with going back to zlib: leaving a possibly
> serious bug in KFilterDev undebugged, possibly affecting other apps :)

Fair point! I'll have to rebuld Qt with debug. Had to take today off to look
after my wife, hence the late reply. I'll see what I can do tomorrow. It
could be the fact that I'm calling the KFilterDev stuff 3*1892 times (lisint
the 75pdi directory) - perhaps there's some small leak thats just adding and
adding up.

Craig.