KFilterDev bug?

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Tue Dec 2 23:46:32 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 18:02, David Faure wrote:
> > If I change the code to use zlib directly, the problem no longer occurs.
>
> Very surprising since KFilterDev, well, uses zlib directly, and passes it
> data in chunks, so it shouldn't consume that much memory.
>
> Anyway the "couldn't open underlying device" is the real problem. Are you
> sure you're giving it a filename pointing to a file that exists?

Giving it a quick look, the KFilerDev errors are because when looking for a
font I look into 3 directories: /usr/local/share/fonts/<font>
/usr/share/fonts/<font> and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/<font>  And it is in the
third one where the font is located. Stepping through the code each time, the
third call works - and no KFilterDev error is produced.

> If yes, the open call that fails is in kfilterdev.cpp line 131 - can you
> step into it to see why it fails? This is all with kdelibs CVS head, right?

Well my CVS is about a month old - but the original reporter's is from Nov
28th. But as the third call works (as it should), then KFilterDev isn't
failing. So, I pressume the error is in my use of KFitlerDev - can you have a
quick look at kdebase/kcontrol/kfontinst/lib/CompressedFile.cpp and see if
I'm doing something stupid.

Would there be a problem with me just changing the code back to using zlib
directly (it used to originally - about 2 years ago)? Seems a lot more
efficient - especially seeing as I have 1892 bitmap fonts in one directory.

Craig.