Software patent protest, could kde participate ?

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Wed Aug 27 16:54:36 BST 2003

Am Wednesday 27 August 2003 09:13 schrieb Cornelius Schumacher:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2003 03:38, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> >
> > From a PR perspective, making people aware of KDE's position towards this
> > issue is a Good Thing, not only because KDE is affected by the decisions
> > made upon this patent-right proposal.
>
> I'm not aware that KDE has any position towards this issue.

Then I assume you are not aware that logic patents, which is what all the hype
is about, will have a dangerous impact on any form of software development,
in particular open source projects which are usally not backed by companies
with big purses.

KDE is affected in that, assuming that Ms. McCarthy & co. get through with
this, any kind of algorithm can be patented.  Scrollbars are patented
already, the plugin mechanism is patented already, virus scanners are - but
luckily those patents are not executable at european courts so far) - at
least this is what I gathered after a few days of reading through articles,
IANAL hence my warnings might bear some imprecisions.

- Frerich