Software patent protest, could kde participate ?

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Wed Aug 27 02:38:42 BST 2003

Am Wednesday 27 August 2003 03:26 schrieb Navindra Umanee:
> Rob Kaper <cap at capsi.com> wrote:
> > I'm sorry but this was just rushed into and form a PR perspective thowing
> > down websites is a bad idea, generally.

From a PR perspective, making people aware of KDE's position towards this
issue is a Good Thing, not only because KDE is affected by the decisions made
upon this patent-right proposal.

> It's quite unlikely to accomplish anything though.

If just one percent of the visitors of www.gnome.org, kde.org, kde.de and the
other sites becomes aware of the issues tied to logic patents, then it was
worthwhile.

In my opinion, the advantages (making people aware of this problem, and
pointing out what the majority of KDE contributors thinks about it) outweight
the disadvantages (one single day during which it takes you one additional
click to get to the usual www.kde.org content).

- Frerich