OT: Siemens sees Linux desktops at 20% of market by 2008 --recommends GNOME over KDE

Vadim Plessky vplessky at faringosept.ru
Wed Aug 20 20:19:17 BST 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 20:37, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
|  Some interesting quotes:
|
|     "Siemens Business Systems, the $6 billion global IT consulting
|      and outsourcing company, has conducted extensive testing with
|      real-world, non-technical workers and is declaring that Linux
|      has matured as a desktop and will quickly vault to the #2
|      most-installed OS in the world."

A few comments from opposite point of view (comparing to other postings)
- Siemens Business Systems is not the same as Fujitsu Siemens (PC vendor)
 It's kind of System Integrator/Consulting company
- both IBM and HP are *MUCH BIGGER* than Siemens Business Systems

And here is my point:
 we should not care what Siemens Business Systems is doing/saying (unless they
become more favourable to KDE ;-))
Let's concentrate on working with IBM and HP!...

Vadim

|     "Senior program manager Duncan McNutt, who has overseen Siemens's
|      testing of Linux desktops with users and administrators in
|      enterprise settings, believes that Linux will grow quickly as
|      a desktop OS because it can deliver equal productivity at
|      significantly lower costs than Windows in very large enterprise
|      environments -- installations of 4,000 to 40,000 desktops."
|
|     "McNutt says that when Siemens, with 33,000 employees in 44
|      countries, initially evaluated Linux as a productivity desktop,
|      it saw little utility outside of technical departments. 'We
|      didn't see Linux on the desktop as a major market, but we were
|      wrong.'"

[...]

--

Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net