Removal of -pedantic and -pedantic-errors from acinclude.m4.in

Alex Zepeda zipzippy at sonic.net
Mon Aug 18 08:40:30 BST 2003

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 04:40:07PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> About removing -pedantic we could argue, but it's only triggering warnings.
> That's why -pedantic-errors is named -errors - and that's why we use it
> in configure as it makes detecting missing prototypes reliable. If FreeBSD
> has problems in stdlib.h with gcc 3.3, then perhaps gcc 3.3 should add that
> to it's fixincludes script.

Yes, I've read the man page.  Yes, I agree -pedantic-errors should create
errors, and -pedantic should not.  But this is NOT THE CASE.  This is what
I've been saying over and over.

It's not just stdlib.h, quite a few libstdc++ headers trigger these
'warnings' as well.

Again, look at the kde-freebsd lists.  I believe Lauri pointed to the big
thread about this.  This is indeed a problem with gcc, but by using
--disable-warnings I should be able to run configure without -pedantic.

That said, these prototypes are not missing on FreeBSD, but since autoconf
can't determine the difference between a missing <whatever> and some other
incidental error...

- alex