OT: Siemens sees Linux desktops at 20% of market by 2008--recommends GNOME over KDE

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Aug 16 05:58:37 BST 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 15:28:30 at 03:28:30PM -0400, Navindra Umanee (navindra at cs.mcgill.ca) wrote:

> > If Siemens wants to just use these arguments to get a better deal
> > from Ximian -- fine. But what were the reasons to go over to
> > Ximian at all, if they could have KDE for free?
>
> Ah, I suspect this *is* the key.  They did not go over to Ximian.
>
> ==> Ximian went over to them. <==
[snip]

> Plus, Ximian no doubt offers them something (perhaps: services,
> internal company party-lines, "support", indemnification, comfort and
> hand-holding) that we as an OSS community can't.

Exactly. I can confirm by direct experience, working into one of those
big multinationals which still think that IS/IT is not essential and
strategic, just something to outsorce faster than a dead cat.

At that level (corporate IT outsorcing) contracts, ISO 9000 and
similar quality certifications, everything Navindra put in the
parentheses above are an absolute "must have".

Don't shoot the messenger, please. I'm just confirming an hypothesis, not
saying it is the right/best way to do things.

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

A dream will always triumph over reality, once it is given the chance.
                                                Stanislaw Lem