Removal of -pedantic and -pedantic-errors from acinclude.m4.in

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at conectiva.com.br
Fri Aug 15 20:29:01 BST 2003

Em Friday 15 August 2003 14:14, thiago at macieira.info escreveu:

> I second that. Using gcc 3.3.1 on a standard Linux system, with glibc 2.3,
> a couple of modules in KDE don't get compiled because of errors. Removing
> the - pedantic option from the command line solved the problem. I don't
> remember anymore whether the problem occurred within kernel headers
> included by glibc's includes or whether it was glibc headers. In any event,
> they are errors that shouldn't be happening.

Thiago is right..
The only major problem is under sound applications that relies over cdrom.h
Linux Header that includes :

In file included from /usr/include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:11,
                 from /usr/include/asm/byteorder.h:45,
                 from /usr/include/linux/cdrom.h:14,
                 from CdboDevice.cpp:34:
/usr/include/linux/byteorder/swab.h: In function `const __u32
   __fswab24(unsigned int)':
/usr/include/linux/byteorder/swab.h:174: error: ISO C++ forbids braced-groups
   within expressions

Was explained to me that the header itself is a very common implementation
under Linux kernel, and is a gcc-ism, so -pedantic will not work.
I Agree with Coolo that we do not must remove it, since the ut not generated
can hide ugly flaws.
One of the our kernel hacker told me to do a C++ implementation of cdrom.h
header to avoid this, but believe that can be worst than remove -pedantic.
So, can anyone bring a better idea ?

--
Helio Chissini de Castro
KDE Developer