[kde-doc-english]Re: Fwd: "filename" or "file name"

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Aug 13 08:16:22 BST 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:22:44AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 August 2003 21:54, Michael Dean wrote:
> > That's because you can't use spaces in the names of variables, so many
> > developers just write filename instead of file_name or fileName, but
> > according to the proper rules of the English language, it's file name.
> Can you please instead of stating that, list some references? The apple
> style guide surely wasn't made by developers that want their variable
> names stick in the GUI.

It's an entirely subjective issue, based on whether you consider filename to
have fallen into common enough use that it warrants a noun of its own.
Personally, I believe it has, and I see no reason to disagree with Apple and
Microsoft - they've obviously decided that it's common enough.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
http://www.debian.org - http://www.kde.org - http://www.freedesktop.org