[kde-doc-english]Re: Fwd: "filename" or "file name"

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Aug 12 14:53:34 BST 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 15:00, Rob Kaper wrote:
> I never mentioned standards, just that "file name" is correct and "filename"
> is not. There isn't really a consistent rule on compounds in english, but it
> seems to be appropriate to apply the rule "if there's no confusion, don't
> hyphenate or join". Thus "home run", but "greenhouse" (as opposed to a green
> house). And file name.

OK, then why is it keyboard, notebook, football? I can't see a confusion.

I can only refer to
http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/archive/compoundnouns01.html
(not having such a big background in linguistic as you have):
  "Just exactly how and why these three forms exist is not exactly clear,
  but it seems likely that the process will begin with two words, become
  hyphenated after a time, and then eventually end up as just one word.
  It is curious that even good dictionaries sometimes disagree with how
  compound nouns should be spelt!"

So instead of trying to comply to non existant standards, we should go
for the more common spelling - and as such google results are a _perfect_
measurement: ergo use filename.

Greetings, Stephan