Reason for -no-stl in qt-copy configure recommendation?

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Tue Apr 29 09:10:10 BST 2003

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 10:01, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2003 22:43, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> >
> > Then these are gcc bugs. I've had a few of those too, gcc will blissfully
> > compile erroneous STL-related code, then a newer release will complain
> > about it.
>
> No, they are programming errors made by people who use STL without properly
> understanding it. I guess they didn't reference their STL manuals when
> writing their code. The fact that your compiler doesn't complain doesn't
> mean that your code is correct.

Well yes, that too of course. In any case that's not STL-specific, such
problems can happen with the QTL too.

However, while I see the point in discouraging the use of the STL in KDE
components, I don't think it's a good idea to widen this recommendation to
any KDE-based application.

To answer another question : yes, there are many things the STL has that the
QTL hasn't : set<>, multiset<>, multimap<>, dequeue<>, and algorithms for
instance.

--
				Guillaume
				http://www.telegraph-road.org