For you to understand

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Apr 25 14:05:32 BST 2003

On Thursday 24 April 2003 18:23, 3APA3A wrote:
> Dear seclab at ce.aut.ac.ir,
>
> By  the  way:  since  KDE  supports smb:// URL and status of SMB signing
> support  for  SAMBA  is  not  clear  (I  see  no  setting to require SMB
> signing), KDE may be affected in much worse way.
>
> I'm not using KDE, so I can't validate this fact.

Based on the information provided in
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/319494/2003-04-21/2003-04-27/1
and feedback from Andrew Bartlett of the Samba team it is our understanding
that the critical part here is the fact that:
	"Windows automatically sends the encrypted hashed password of the logged-in
         username to the target SMB server before prompting for password."
Since KDE and/or Samba do not do this we believe not to be vulnerable to this
particular problem.

Cheers,
Waldo