Identifying desktop menu items

John Firebaugh jfirebaugh at kde.org
Thu Apr 24 05:08:25 BST 2003

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the KDE panel (kicker). I've recently noticed that
adding support in KDE for the XDG menu specification has caused a regression
in kicker. Specifically, paths to .desktop files (for example, to identify
which .desktop file an application launcher button corresponds to) are now
being stored in configuration files as absolute paths into the
$prefix/share/applications directory. This is undesired, since we want to
application launcher button to work even if the prefix changes or a personal
copy of the .desktop file is created. My question is, what is the preferred
way to store this information? As paths relative to
$prefix/share/applications? What are the legacy compatibility implications
here? What needs to happen in KDE service type classes to expose this
information?

-John