Broken kio_smtp

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Apr 11 12:50:13 BST 2003

On Friday 11 April 2003 11:46, Waldo Bastian wrote:
<snip>
> I fail to see why this is an improvement. If the mail-server doesn't
> care about the password, why should the user care about it? It's not
> that the mail-server itself is authenticated in any way, is it?
<snip>

The case in question is the one where the slave is _explicitely_ asked
to use a specific authentication mechanism. If the server doesn't
support that, the slave should report it, not silently bypass the
authentication step. It's just good engineering practice. Not exactly a
security issue, but not very nice either. As you can see, people
already fell prey to it.

Marc

--
It seems that the only thing worse than being an enemy of the US is
being a close friend and ally.