application/x-perl vs text/x-perl

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Apr 10 15:42:21 BST 2003

On Thursday 10 April 2003 16:39, Clarence Dang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know the difference between these 2 mimetypes?  A "Perl
> Program" is also a "Perl Source File" after all...I don't see the need for
> a distinction between the two, nor the distinction itself.
>
> And to make things worse, they have overlapping patterns:
> application/x-perl: Patterns=*.pl;*.perl;
> tex/x-perl: Patterns=*.pl;*.pm;

The key is in the last line.  .pm == Perl Module != Perl program.  A .pl is
often also a Perl 4 style collection of fucntions with no "main".  So,
potentially these two could be consolidated into "Perl Source File" but not
the other way around.

Cheers,

-Scott

--
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest
person to fool.