kdelibs/kspell

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sun Apr 6 13:30:15 BST 2003

Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

>> (d-pointers, naming, etc.).  Soon I'll add a KTextEdit subclass that
>> enables these things easily and port the KHTML text widget over to this.
>
> Why a subclass? Why not directly KTextEdit?

Well, because right now there's the issue that KSyntaxHighlighter requires
kspell and kdeui.  kspell requires kdeui.  As such, kdeui can't depend on
kspell so KTextEditor can't use KSytaxHighlighter.  (whew -- still with
me?)

So, there are two options that I see -- the one suggested there would be to
subclass KTextEdit -- a simple affair -- and to add the useful methods
there.

The second would be to move the few classes in kspell into kdeui and just
leave libkspell.so around as a wrapper for BC.  Since kspell already
requires kdeui, this shouldn't be a problem.  Aaron and I were talking on
IRC last night and both liked this idea, but I don't know what the reason
for them having been separated traditionally is.

Cheers,

-Scott

--
If the answer is "more lawyers" then the question shouldn't have been asked.