[RFC] SI Units in KDE

Alexander Neundorf alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Fri Sep 20 00:49:35 BST 2002

On Friday 20 September 2002 00:50, Neil Stevens wrote:

> > > Ah, so it's not only enough that you want to be able to clear
> > > confuson, but you want to impose your measuring system on the whole
> > > world?
> >
> > Where did you get that from?
>
> Your last sentence was backing away from the configurability, somehow
> implying that the traditional use of MB is more "confusing" than the new
> one.

I'd also say let's keep the 1024 for sizes in bytes, people with computer
knowledge know that 1 KB is 1024 byte, people who don't care, well, don't
care.
This is now exactly the second time that I heard from "Mibibit" (or how was it
?) and I think if we use this it will lead to really big confusion.

> > > You still haven't answered one of my original questions:  What does
> > > ifconfig have to do with anything?
> >
> > ifconfig is an example of the SI units showing up in user tools. Another
> > example would be du's strict-SI mode.
>
> ifconfig is not a user tool, and du defaults to the binary powers.  50%
> split in your sample, so why don't you add a global setting to the KDE 3.2
> feature plan?

Hmm, yet another config option....

Bye
Alex