Last attempt at reconciliation

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Thu Sep 19 13:19:45 BST 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 4:34 pm, Don Sanders wrote:
|  I have been thinking some more about my position.
|
|  I would like to present Michael the following final offer at a
|  compromise:
|
|  I be allowed to fork KMail and begin work on KMail2 a mail client
|  largely based on KMail but with the intention of making radical
|  fundamental changes to the core architecture as I describe in
|  my "Stuff I'm working on" mail.

Hello Don!

I am a 2-years+ user of KMail, and I am very happy with KMail and how it's
becoming better and better.
It would be sad for me if KMail is branched, and some of the branches go
away/disappears.
I remember whne some time ago TheKompany announced Aethera, which was forked
Magellan project from KAlliance.
Now Kalliance.org is dead, and Aethera still not reached stable/usable state
(2 years after that happened...)
Do we need to repeat those mistakes? I hope not.

Some links (interesting to read nowdays):
http://www.kdenews.org/1005125083/1005226368/1005245779/1005254928/1005263270/
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/47/2000/1/0/3227680/

So, if possible: please continue to work on *one* KMail.
May be, you just need to create development branch in KDE CVS, and this would
be *enough*?

|  Would that be acceptable?
|
|  This would be somewhat similar to what my predecessor Stefan Taferner
|  attempted.
|
|  An example of where KMail and KMail2 would differ is that KMail would
|  take the more conservative approach of embedding components like
|  KOrganizer in it, while KMail2 would take the more radical approach of
|  making a component out of KMail and embedding that KMail component in
|  other applications.
|
|  Does that sound agreeable?
|
|  Yours hopefully,
|  Don.