Highly successfull KControl reorganisation
bastian at kde.org
Tue Sep 17 19:41:23 BST 2002
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
[The subject is chosen to balance out the "KControl debacle" thread]
The structure as proposed on
http://usability.kde.org/activity/kcontrol_structure_3_1.html has mostly
found it's way into CVS. This is a short status update.
* Yes, we know it sucks. The goal is to find an arrangement that doesn't suck
too much. In mathematical terms we try to find a local suckiness-minimum.
* The proposal was to combine "File Sharing" with "Local Network Browsing" but
on closer inspection that seems a poor choice. "File Sharing" operates from a
server point of view, while "Local Network Browsing" operates from a client
point of view. Instead I would like to integrate "Window Shares" with "Local
* I am not sure if "File Sharing" belongs in "Network & Internet" or under
"System Administration" can someone who has SMB & NFS servers running post
screenshots of the various "File Sharing" tabs?
* CGI Scripts does not qualify as a "component" in my eyes. I suggest to
integrate it with "System Administration -> Paths"
* "Desktop-->Appearance" has to go. The font selection has already been added
to "Appearance & Themes -> Fonts". I suggest that the color selection is
integrated in the "Appearance & Themes -> Background" panel since the color
of your desktop-icon-text has a direct relation with the background color.
[I will post another message on this subject]
* quickHelp - The quick-help text still needs adjusting in a number of
modules. In some cases the individual tabs have different quickhelp texts,
the overall module could return the quickhelp of the active tab, but the
control center does not update the help text when the active tab changes I
* The .desktop files need to be removed from their old location for people who
install from source in KDE 3.1Beta2. Can anyone provide me with a tarball of
$KDEDIR/share/applnk/Settings as installed by KDE3.1Beta1?
bastian at kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian at suse.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the kde-core-devel