KWin dialog placement

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun Sep 15 00:29:54 BST 2002

On Saturday, 14 September 2002 16:40, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> What is the preferred way to tell kwin that it should place a dialog _NEXT_
> to its mainwindow instead of _ON TOP_ of its mainwindow?

There isn't a standard one, AFAIK.

You can always use setGeometry(<computed x-y position>) before show(). You
compute the position from the one of the parent. If the window manager
agrees, it will place the dialog as you like. The window manager can disagree
if you try to place the dialog partly outside the desktop or on top of a
docked window. Unfortunately, I'm not sure (didn't examine the kwin code for
this lately).

Cristian Tibirna .. tibirna at sympatico.ca
PhD student .. ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca .. www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. www.kde.org