kdebase/kdm/chooser

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Sep 12 20:29:15 BST 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 08:24:17PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> Ah, I see. Basically you need a static bool KCrash::isSet(), which returns
> true when an explicit call to set the crash handler has been made, right?

yep. and kapp would act upon this.

> > i think this should be made a global flag like the kde_have_kipc hack
> > which was created for kdm as well.
>
> That can be an alternative solution indeed.

yep. it's a hack, too, but who cares. it's short. :)
well, in fact, disableautodcopregistration is exactly the same thing ...
so we have the choice whether we introduce disablecrashhandlerinstallation
or kde_have_crashhandler (well, kde_use_* would be more correct, but who
cares :).

> > maybe, as hook system should be introduced, which allows libs to add
> > their features to kapp if they are linked.
>
> Hmm, nice idea, but how can you do that? [...] can you make a shared
> lib auto-execute some code when it's opened at application startup?
> And if so, can you assume some code has been run before or should that
> code be completely self-contained?

every .so can have startup and exit code ... that could be used for
installing a callback which is then invoked by the kapp c'tor. dunno.
somebody certainly knows. :)

> (Not to mention that it would change KApplication's semantics in a way
> that can hardly be done right without breaking existing apps. In other
> words, not before KDE 4.)

right.

greetings