Preannounce: Kroupware Project started

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Sep 11 20:41:21 BST 2002

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 02:40, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:
> Well, the first thing is that we cannot possibly work in HEAD,
> because that will endanger the 3.1 release. And we can't work in
> make_it_cool either, because we need to approach stability by October
> 15. So we are forced to use our own branch, whether we like it or not
> (and we don't, for the most part).

ACK.

> I agree that merging can be a big problem. We'll try to minimize it
> by syncing our branch with HEAD regularly (planned is once a week).
> In an ideal world, we can - after consultation with the other KMail
> developers, of course - just dump our branch over HEAD, because we
> already have everything in HEAD. Then it's just to merge in
> make_it_cool into HEAD once that one stabilizes. And this can be made
> easier if the developers working on the make_it_cool branch merge
> HEAD changes into their branch as well on a regular basis.

Point well taken. I'm not sure who wanted to do the merging for your
branch but I'd be very happy to do that on a regular basis every few
days for you. I already do that for make_it_cool and might just as well
do it with your branch. In fact I'd be most happy if people would allow
me to do the following:
- bugfixes from HEAD merged into make_it_cool and kgroupware,
- simple bugfixes not involving architectural changes from kgroupware
and make_it_cool back into HEAD,
- all changes from kgroupware into make_it_cool.

Two first are pretty obvious, the third one means that we'd have one
branch with all changes accumulated in the new architecture. The third
one would probably be knows as KMail Extremely Unstable, but would
generate more testers for you guys and hopefully help us merge all
branches at the end. What do you think?

Zack

--
Which is worse: Ignorance or Apathy?