Klipper as applet only

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Tue Sep 10 19:29:13 BST 2002

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 14:55, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Monday 09 September 2002 20:47, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> > There is no messing with the autostart folder anymore, just some
> > config->writeEntry( "AutoStart", bool );
>
>  You cannot denny that the way Klipper is started is somewhat non-standard.
> And BTW, if one quits Klipper, says not to start it again and then changes
> one's mind, and has no clue about playing with config files, what is this
> poor person supposed to do ? ;)

Actually; from the user POV its the normal way. Its the best in KDE in  my
book since quitting it asks you if you want to shut it down for this session
only!
Perfect! (Well; that question could be better :)
If only kalarm would do it like this...

I really do have a problem with kicker being an applet only, this is usability
stuff only though.
Kicker applets that the user feels are applications (kmix, kicker) are not
found by any of the people I introduced to KDE (which says a lot :)
They simply did not look in the popup menu to add an applet to kicker! In
other words, nobody expected it to be an applet.
Quitting it seemed impossble as well; everyone is expecting a 'quit' menu
entry while they have to use the applet-bar. We actually have in internally
inconsistent way of quitting stuff on the panel :}

In this case I think we are far better off by a systray entry like the
standalone version has. If you can start an applet (via dcop?) from the
K-menu and put its icon in the systray it would be a lot clearer for our
users.
I would even go as far as to disallow a seperate applet taking space on kicker
since that really does not make it clearer.
Well, maybe in a config setting somewhere hidden far out of harms way.

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander at planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be