Klipper as applet only

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Sep 10 13:55:49 BST 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 20:47, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Monday 09 September 2002 19:47, you wrote:
>
> Hiya,
>
> >  Both those problems are caused by the change to inherit TopLevel from
> > KSystemTray. And an applet is of course no tray icon. I tried to fix the
>
> ahh, nasty!
>
> > - it would be possible to get rid of the startup hacks for Klipper (that
> > 'oh, you really don't want me? not even later?' dialog), messing with the
> > autostart/klipper.desktop file and so on.
>
> There is no messing with the autostart folder anymore, just some
> config->writeEntry( "AutoStart", bool );

 You cannot denny that the way Klipper is started is somewhat non-standard.
And BTW, if one quits Klipper, says not to start it again and then changes
one's mind, and has no clue about playing with config files, what is this
poor person supposed to do ? ;)

> > - since most people run it all the time anyway, it should be IMHO an
> > applet anyway (since AFAIK that's the difference between applets and
> > trayed apps)
>
> Hmmno, I also run kradio, kget, knetload and kalarmd all the time, all
> running in the system tray. And I don't need to buy a bigger monitor,
> because they only take ~60 x 80 pixels instead of 60 x 150 pixels.

 If you can run large Kicker, you have enough space :).

> > - it would of course make those if( is_applet ) ... else ... unnecessary
>
> I'm not fond of those, but I said that a long time ago :)
>
> >  Reasons against:
> > - does anybody still have any clipboard problems since I fixed the Qt
> > problem almost a year ago?
>
> - - the applet still takes way too much space
>
> If you really want to keep the applet version, then refactor toplevel.* as
> it should have been done long ago. Make one widget inheriting KSystemTray
> and another inheriting KPanelApplet, the rest can be done in a different
> class.

 *sigh* Ack. I hope I won't end up doing this with all those things that more
or less run permanently.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer