Qt 3.1b1

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Mon Sep 9 15:17:43 BST 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 15:44, Thomas Zander wrote:
> How can we tell those developers we promised BC during the whole KDE 3.x
> series that even before 3.1 is released the BC is being broken allready;
> "Sorry not our fault!" ??
>
> If nothing else; its a really big PR problem.

Qt is GPL, we can provide a patch which keeps it BC and urge the trolls to see
the need to incorporate that patch and preferably write it themselves, but
with some cooperation I assume we should be able to work with them on this
issue.

Unless we are the only Qt users who require BC, it would be in their best
interest to solve this.

"Not our fault" would be response that will attract many flames like "ït is
your fault for choosing Qt" and we'd be back in the whole "KDE sucks because
it uses a proprietary toolkit". True, it's not proprietary, but Qt is mostly
developed in a bazaar style. While that has given us many advantages (it is a
good product), there are also some pitfalls and it seems like this is one of
them.

Not sure who should talk to Trolltech (if they are not listening on this list
anyway), I'll have to look up Dirk's interview and see if this is part of the
release dude's responsibilities.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap at capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much