Houston, we have a problem.

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Sep 5 20:12:53 BST 2002

On Thursday 05 September 2002 20:31, Waldo Bastian wrote:
<snip>
> This is not a feature, this is an architectural cleanup that is long
> overdue.

It is not on the feature list and it does not fix a bug.
What do you fail to understand in the above sentence?

> However, on the kmail list there seems to be a strange idea
> about what features are. For example, Ingo has a patch that replaces
> the current kmail busy-waiting loop (!) when waiting for gpg to
> finish with a decent solution and from what I understand that is not
> going to be committed before 3.1 either, presumably because that is
> also a "feature".
<snip>

This is FUD. See below for a proof.

On Wednesday 14 August 2002 00:00, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 August 2002 20:49, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > It doesn't. It's just that KMail currently loops over poll(),
which
> > > makes both KMail and GnuPG take 50% of available processor time.
> >
> > Why is that? That's braindead. Why not using a select instead?
>
> Because I didn't knew it better when I wrote the code. Anyway, someone
> was so nice to send us a patch which AFAIR uses select. I'll either
> apply this patch before KDE 3.1 or I'll change the code to use
> KProcess.

Marc

--
If free-software authors lose the right to disclaim all warranties and
find themselves getting sued over the performance of the programs