Houston, we have a problem.

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Thu Sep 5 09:48:23 BST 2002

Hi all!

For those of you unaware of the current threa{t,d}s on kmail at kde.org:

Don Sanders claims maintainership of KMail on the ground of being "the
inheritor of an abandoned" project[1] and to have only "delegated"
maintainership to Michael Haeckel since he was short of time[2].

That doesn't seem to be a gentlemen's agreement, though, but more a of a
one-sided view at best[3].

As a demonstration of power, he today comitted a very intrusive patch
that, while needed for maintainability and code cleanness of KMail,
doesn't belong comitted this late in the release. IMO, it does not fix
a visible bug, but introduces new features (albeit #if 0'd out). The
reason repeatedly stated by Don for comitting is that he thinks the
workload is getting too high for him if he needs to resolve CVS
conflicts in his own tree[4-8].

This action was unanimously disapproved of by _all_ KMail core
developers (except Don, of course)[9,10,myself], the current maintainer
Michael Haeckel[11], plus a few others[e.g. 12] when posted and only
supported by two other persons, AFAICS[13,14]. It was disapproved of on
the basis of the feature freeze and on the basic principles of KDE
development.

We tried to solve this situation over the last few days (actually, more
or less the whole week), but we didn't come to a workable solution.
That is, everyone except Don and the other person, _did_ agree to
postpone this change.

Since we couldn't stop Don from comitting and he obvously didn't even
consider opening a branch for his work (as suggested by myself quite
early on in the discussion[15]), I now appeal to the release dude to
speak up on this.

It's not easy for me to do this, but failing any positive effect, I ask
to revoke Don's CVS rights at least until 3.1.0 is out of the door.

I am aware of the fact that I have no right in bringing this up, me not
being the maintainer of the affected project, but I think I speak for
Michael, too. If not, Michael, please speak up about where our opinions
differ.

Thanks for listening,
Marc

References (ms-id's):
[1]  <200209032321.19097.sanders at kde.org>
[2]  <200209032025.38102.sanders at kde.org>
[3]  <200209040932.08471.haeckel at kde.org>
[4]  <200208271721.18812.sanders at kde.org>
[5]  <200208271726.56269.sanders at kde.org>
[6]  <200208291536.42191.sanders at kde.org>
[7]  <200208301402.09581.sanders at kde.org>
[8]  <200209011833.20357.sanders at kde.org>
[9]  <36904.62.8.207.34.1029750847.squirrel at server.lokal>
[10] <200208192044.32889 at erwin.ingo-kloecker.de>
[12] <200208191254.49144.aseigo at olympusproject.org>
[11] <200209040843.07488.haeckel at kde.org>
[13] <200208191228.30300.bastian at kde.org>
[14] <200208191536.15639.zack at kde.org>
[15] <200209011228.46955 at sendmail.mutz.com>

- --
Mutig warf sich die kleine Überwachungskamera zwischen Täter und Opfer!
                                        --Rena Tangens / FoeBuD e.V.