kdepim depends on kdenetwork through mimelib

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Tue Sep 3 02:41:25 BST 2002

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 05:09, Marc Mutz wrote:
<snip>
> On Monday 02 September 2002 11:29, Best, Jan-Pascal van wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Since mimelib is part of kdenetwork, this means that kdepim
> > now depends on kdenetwork. To resolve this, I would propose
> > to move mimelib from kdenetwork to kdelibs. Would you agree
> > to that? And if you do, how should I go about doing that
> > properly?
>
> <snip>
>
> Oh, I didn't know it's April 1st :-((

It really was a classic moment I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

> Here, you have a strong vote against further mimelib spreading.
>
> Do you need the subject of the mail? Oh, you really _do_ rfc2047
> decoding yourself, aren't you? You need the filename of the
> attachment? Oh, you _do_ rfc2231 decoding, aren't you? Because
> mimelib does _not_.

I agree with marc that mimelib does not belong in kdelibs. But there
is a clear and consistent need for kde-pim and knode/kmail to share a
library. We either need to put all these applications in the same
package or make a new library package that kde-pim and kdenetwork
depend on.

I actually tend to think moving KMail and KNode into a package with
kde-pim makes the best sense. Pity we don't have a better name than
kde-pim, kde-groupware might be better.

Don.