Clipboard problems (yes, again)

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Wed Oct 30 17:25:24 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 09:06:49AM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday October 30, 2002 08:56, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > > I did far more construction than you did.  Some of that which you
> > > insist that I don't want was put in by me - I'm the one who went and
> > > first tried to put the KDE standard clipboad behavior into klipper
> > > when others were getting worried that KDE 3 was going to brea
> > > behaviors that users had come to rely up on for the entire lifetime of
> > > KDE.
> >
> >  That's not what I meant. Be constructive now, and tell me why it
> > shouldn't be removed (e.g. 'the separated clipboard and selection have
> > the problem XXX' or 'the reason why the syncing should stay is because
> > ZYX'). That's what I want to hear, simple facts, I don't care about
> > 'waaah' or some politician-style talk.
>
> The clipboard-manipulation features are needed to fix the design breakage
> of QClipboard in Qt 3.  The features are needed in order to maintain the
> standard clipboard behavior.
>
> You cite ICCCM and freedesktop.org.  My rebuttals KDE 1.1.2 and KDE 2.2.2.
> Both of those releases had a simpler clipboard model that happens to
> differ from the one Qt 3 and KDE 3.0.1 default to.
>
> If compatibility with all of KDE's history doesn't satisfy you, I think
> nothing will.

Neil, what you can't deny is the fact that there are a couple of
really ugly bugs. These bugs need to be fixed. Lubos investigated
the issue and suggests a change to fix these bugs. Perhaps the
change is radical, but it is fixes these bugs.

If you believe that there is a better solution then go implement it
and propose the patch. If you think the bug is in Qt then create a
patch and discuss it with qt-bugs at trolltech.com.

Anything else isn't going to be of much help I believe.

Simon