renaming of hicolor

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Oct 30 16:31:17 GMT 2002

I just noticed this today and have tried to work out a few of the bugs that it has caused.
Basically, despite the fact that I prefer the new name, it breaks a lot of things[1].  There are
four possible solutions that I see at the moment:

*) Change the name back to "HiColor" -- this is obviously the easiest.

*) Have a way of the name for all technical purposes be "hicolor" but have "KDE Classic" show
up on the lablels.  This seems like it should also be easy.

*) Provide a way for themes to have "buddys" that they know about and give some priority to on
the resolution of icon locations.

*) Do some really dirty hacks in KIconTheme for if(name == "kdeclassic") { ... do stuff to hicolor
too ... } I looked at this a little while today, but this is bigger and uglier than I thought, and I
didn't think it worth it to continue with things that ugly.

Toughts?

-Scott

[1] There is a lot of hard coding of things for HiColor into KIconTheme and a simple
s/hicolor/kdeclassic/g won't fix things.  Also, because the theme name is used to find the
locations for icons, this breaks non-CVS apps that provide their own HiColor icons (which is
pretty much all of them) since those now won't be found.