Freedesktop stuff (ok to commit?)

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Fri Oct 25 22:40:05 BST 2002

On Friday 25 October 2002 8:05 pm, Zack Rusin wrote:
|  On Friday 25 October 2002 06:03, Martin Konold wrote:
|  > On Friday 25 October 2002 07:39 am, Daniel Stone wrote:
|  >
|  > > > only partially committed their patch saying that it's in. The
|  > > > kicker stuff is in but the kwin patch hasn't been applied.
|  > > > Therefore right now we only have partial support for the
|  > > > Freedesktop docking standard, since we're in a deep freeze I'd
|  > > > like to ask everyone involved - OK to commit?
|  > >
|  > > I looked at this a while ago for Debian, at the behest of Rob
|  > > McQueen (GAIM dude). It personally looks good to me, and I think it
|  > > should definitely be added for 3.1, to compliment the kicker patch.
|  >
|  > Did you check the code? How big is the risk to break stuff with such
|  > a late addition?
|
|  The risk of breaking stuff is minimal, it's the question of usefullness
|  that bothers us as there's not many people using KDE with different wm
|  than KWin.

Metacity has quite good NetWM implementation. I found KDE works quite good
with it (much better than with SawFish, I was pleased).

As about different WM for KDE (from KWin) - I think none was considering
replacement (or to write replacement), as there is no KControl module where
you can change it :-)
But IMO having alternative WM doens't hurt, and can be sometimes very useful.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)