Fwd: FreeImage in KDE

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Thu Oct 24 19:12:10 BST 2002

On Donnerstag, 24. Oktober 2002 15:43, David Faure wrote:

> Subject: FreeImage in KDE
> Date: Thursday 24 October 2002 14:44
> From: "Floris van den Berg" <fvandenberg at surtronic.nl>
> To: <howtohelp at kde.org>
>
> Hi there,
>
> I am the main developer of a free, open source bitmap
> PNG, PNM, TIFF, TARGA and much more. I have been working on FreeImage for
> more than 2 years. Much work has been done to integrate the library into
> third party libraries, such as Qt.
>
> I thought that it may be nice if FreeImage would be integrated into the
> KDE. It would be a small effort (call a few functions to register freeimage
> into Qt, then use the library through Qt) and it would add a lot of
> functionality. The sourcecode + binaries for FreeImage can be downloaded
> from
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/freeimage.

If you check out kdelibs it contains code to register image formats. So you
would need to provide wrapper modules that register for one or more image
formats dependently if FreeImage is found by configure. This should work out
pretty well and I'm happy to help you. If you already have code to read/write
a QImage you should be pretty close to finish :)

Greetings, Stephan