Start new session...

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Fri Oct 11 12:41:12 BST 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 11:55:00AM +0200, Michael Brade wrote:
> On Friday 11 October 2002 08:56, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > you still have not even given any arguments
> > as to why this is a bugfix.
> ?!?
> Read at least his mails from two days ago.

I did; I'm propbably not impartial; but which questions do you think are
answered in such a way that I propbably should have said 'ok' ?

  On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 07:29:50PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
  > On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:54:06AM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
  > It certainly is NOT
  > a bugfix, it certainly does provide a lot more bugs in usability.
  > You even said its not a bugfix, quote;
  > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103355779511292&w=2
  >     'it's the most requested feature for kdm.'

  short version: it's a bugfix, as it saves us from removing the most
  requested feature again.
  > - it can't work perfectly, you can't have 2 sessions open and have NO
  > adverse effects

  who says, that it has to work perfectly? i'm happy if it works
  sufficiently well.

  >   This has to be either fixed, or made perfectly clear to the user.

  some of the issues are inherent and therefore unfixable. so there is no
  "or".

  > - it is lacking severly in the feedback department.
  >   At several points the user of the machine has to know about the session.

  yes. but i don't consider this a show-stopper. it's only one more
  thing the user has to be taught about.

  > - the distinction between session management and your feature should
  >   be obvious to users.

  granted.

Some emails later (Also from Oswald):

  > > [...] so the bottom line is: most probably after 3.1. :(
  >
  > I don't think this is acceptable.

  i don't consider it a show-stopper. sure, it can be a major problem, but
  hey, this is not the only way you can nuke yourself or somebody else by
  accident.

As Oswald seems to take my not objecting to his objections as an 'ok', I'll
re-iterate then here.

Thomas Zander   zander at planescape.com
We are what we pretend to be