Start new session...

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu Oct 10 19:05:28 BST 2002

On Thursday 10 October 2002 19:47, Thomas Zander wrote:
> That is not what I am talking about, and it seems it again goes wrong on
> usage of the word 'session'.
> Please accept that KDE has used 'session' for ages for the
> session-management stuff (saving a state when KDE shuts down) and we can't
> change that.  If I ever talk about sessions I talk about the sessions KDE
> uses.

If you login you start a session. If you logout you close your session. If you
login twice on different virtual terminals you start two sessions.

Sounds pretty logical to me actually, much better than using 'screen' or
'desktop' at least.

Think virtual desktops. Those run inside a session. Think Xinerama. There you
have multiple screens per desktop and multiple desktops per session.

And with Oswald's new code you also have potentially multiple sessions per
computer.

That said, the GUI side of things does need attention, because the current
state is indeed a bit dangerous. Not more than the feature was in KDE 3.0
though. Only easier accessible to most people.
--
Martijn