Start new session...

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Thu Oct 10 09:13:11 BST 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 01:11:22AM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > > no, that's todo. that's not a five-minute-hack.
> > >
> > Before or after 3.1 ?
> >
> even if i handle the coding part before 3.1, this cannot be done without
> breaking the string freeze, obviously. and at the moment i'm not sure
> about the exact strings yet, so it's hard to put them in now and do the
> coding later. also, it would include merging at least parts of the
> make_it_cool branch, as parts of the required architectural changes in
> kdm are already done there.
> so the bottom line is: most probably after 3.1. :(

I don't think this is acceptable. I really feel that users should get a
warning if they want to shutdown a machine and someone else-es stuff is
still running.
But I am repeating myself :)

> i don't see a real problem. this stuff
> does not conflict with anything i've seen in kde so far. it "only"
> requires the user to understand, that there can be multiple sessions
> active at the same time. after all, there is nothing else called "new
> session" that would do something with the current session, afaik.

Nobody created a dialog for it yet; but the functionality is there to
allow multiple sessionmanagement kind of sessions.
The main reason you don't see it is since the people that programmed
the functionality did not want to commit UI-wise broken stuff.

> ok, the current draft for the message:
>
> <h1>You have chosen to open another session.</h1>
> displayed. You can switch back to this session with Ctrl-Alt-F%1 at
> any time. The function key for the new session is not known yet, but
> will usually be F8 or higher.</p>
> drivers when using multiple simultaneous sessions.</p>

I actually like Aaron's version better;

You have chosen to start a new desktop instead of resuming an existing one.<br>
Each desktop is assigned an F-key. F%1 is normally assigned to the first
desktop, F%2 to the second desktop and so on. This desktop is assigned F%3.
You can switch between desktops by pressing the CTRL, ALT and appropriate
F-key at the same time.<br>
<b>Warning</b>: due to video card driver issues, running multiple desktops
may cause system crashes on some computers.

Thomas Zander   zander at planescape.com
We are what we pretend to be