Start new session...

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Oct 9 21:26:00 BST 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:36:48PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> This is far too technical. Many terms are unknown to the target audience.

but we don't want to dumb down the users. the correct solution would be
using the technical terms and explaining them in parentheses, even if
this does not look so well.

> - session is plainly wrong since that is the other feature we allready
> had.

i don't see the problem. a session is one context between logging in and
out. you start a new display, on which a second session can be started.

> <b>You have chosen to create a new screen instead of resuming an
> allready existing one.</b><br>

why resume? i see that we need at least two different texts ...

> <b>Warning</b>: on some machines running multiple screens can crash the
> machine.

you want to hide the potentially interesting fact, that the driver is
the problem. instead of thinking about a driver upgrade the user should
think "nah, this f***ing box is crap", or what?

> When pressing 'shutdown' in kdm, is there a message?

no, that's todo. that's not a five-minute-hack.

> What happens when I login, can I then select 'sessions' ?

no. this was never possible when a session was started. why should an
explicit "start new session" feature make it possible? this are two
orthogonal features.

> IMO the usability for sessions is hard enough to get 'right'. The
> addition of a totally different feature that can sanely only be called
> the same just makes it an awful lot harder.

the only real problem here is, that currently "session" is used for
"(saved) session state", which is technically wrong. a session is ...
oh, well, see above.

greetings