Start new session...

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Wed Oct 9 09:54:06 BST 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 05:51:17AM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > - A way to manage the sessions
> >
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103248620916086&w=2
> (and why it's already in head: :})
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103347829001958&w=2
>
> > It would even be nice to be able to get a chooser from there too.
> >
> say hi to the make_it_cool branch or risk being killed by merging it
> into head now. :)

You did not provide very good answers to my objections. It certainly is NOT
a bugfix, it certainly does provide a lot more bugs in usability.
You even said its not a bugfix, quote;
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103355779511292&w=2
    'it's the most requested feature for kdm.'

I am very surprised this feature went into HEAD, and feel you have 'sneaked'
it past us.  I objected; you wrote a I don't agree to your objection and
put it in anyway.
That is not a very nice way to work in a version that is suppost to be stable...

I'm wondering if you could please revert your commit until the usability
problems I noted are fixed.
I have problems with the following issues;
- it can't work perfectly, you can't have 2 sessions open and have NO adverse
  effects
  This has to be either fixed, or made perfectly clear to the user.
- it is lacking severly in the feedback department.
  At several points the user of the machine has to know about the session.
- the distinction between session management and your feature should be
  obvious to users.

And I don't believe you can fix all of those points. Please prove me wrong.

Thomas Zander   zander at planescape.com
We are what we pretend to be