kcmbackground

Lukáš Tinkl lukas at kde.org
Mon Oct 7 10:38:11 BST 2002

Dne ne 6. října 2002 18:32 Stephan Kulow napsal(a):
> Hi!
>
> The background dialog has several grave bugs and it seems
> noone is going to fix them ;(
>
> This gives usability a very bad name, if in the name of it working
> GUIs are replaced by GUIs full of bugs - I'm quite disappointed.
> All in all we can't release KDE 3.1 with that code.
>
> - one button is always shown half way
> - if I remove the default wallpaper to get a pattern background,
>   I get the default back again on next start.
> - if I replace the default blue with Blkmarble.jpg I get a correct
>   preview (the little tile centered on my pattern), but apply gives
>   me again a blue background.
> - it's not possible to switch to a simple background without removing
>   all jpegs.
> - it's not clear that you can select image dirs too in the Add Image...
>   dialog.
>
> These testings have been done on my test machine with a fresh beta2
> build (actually I build a gentoo 1.4 with 3.1b2 from scratch to get the
> impression how a user sees it :), but the diff between beta2 and HEAD
> look like reorganization of the code but not like bug fixes to the bugs
> I just reported.
>
> Greetings, Stephan

All true Stephan, I tried and fixed already a few bugs, but as I already
mentioned: it is broken by design. It's confusing, there's too many options
when the user usually only tries to set a stretched wallpaper image.

My suggestion:
let there be only 4 simple options:
- one color
- gradient
- pattern
- image

The rest should IMHO go into Advanced, with all the nifty but clumsy settings
like blending, auto image switching, bg program etc.

Oh, and I also vote for reverting to the last stable version.

P.S. Won't there be a problem with reverting now that Laurent made the widget
into a static library, shared with kdm?

--
Lukáš Tinkl (lukas at kde.org, lukas.tinkl at suse.cz)
KDE developer | SuSE Labs