KTextEditor

Troels Tolstrup troels at tolstrup.org
Mon Oct 7 11:59:16 BST 2002

On Monday 07 October 2002 12:22, David Faure wrote:
> No, it's not a strict runtime dependency, if you have other
> implementations of KTextEditor, like kate. The idea would be:
> * If you want plain text editing in KMail (like right now), you only
> need kdebase (or even kdelibs if there's a ktexteditor implementation
> there, I don't know the current status). * If you want richtext
> editing in KMail, then you need koffice. It's a "weak" dependency.
> KMail runs without it, but if you want the extra feature, then you
> need koffice.

Disclaimer: I dont have anything to do with koffice or kmail
development.

But, 2 things:

Isn't requiring koffice to be able to create rich text mails pretty,
well, insane? Make many such dependancies and soon everyone will pretty
much have to install all kde packages just to get the basic
functionality in a few programs. Right now i find the fact that kdepim
has to be installed in order to get the full addressbook in kmail
pretty bad, this would make it even worse.

And as far as i understand, koffice has its own release schedule, in
which case can you be sure that the installed version of koffice and
kde is compatible?

I hope someone will now tell me that im an idiot and that there are no
problems with this idea except in my head (this could very well be true
:)

Mvh
Troels