libtrash ?

Alexander Kellett lypanov at kde.org
Fri Oct 4 14:33:46 BST 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 02:26:53PM +0200, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 20:41, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> > Alexander Kellett writes:
> > > i'd prefer for this (or rather versioning) to be in my favourite fs
> > > personally. but thats not gonna happen for a while so i'll stop
> > > dreaming.
> >
> > One problem with this approach is that you can't discriminate between
> > stuff the user deleted himself and stuff that a program deletes like
> > temporary files etc.  I'd think that you would end up with a lot of
> > nonsense in your trash bin with this library..
> > cheers
> > domi
>
> For ext2 there's a possibility to undelete recently removed files;
> Midnight Commander is using it as a virtual file system ("undel:", if I
> remember correctly). Can't we add support for this as a start (OK, only for
> ext2 and thus, LINUX...)?

was just about to start using my time well and write a ioslave
but then saw this:
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200203/msg00582.html

thus based on this and my own experience with it i don't think undel:
is really a good enough alternative to a working libtrash. also the earlier
point about libtrash not knowing what was a user (ui?) delete and what was a
program deletion is not really all that important as in most cases these
sort of operations happen in "dot" directories and a trash: slave could easily
have options to filter out such files.

ciao,
Alex who really should start work on trash: and get libtrash working on his setup