Release schedule reminder

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Wed Oct 2 10:56:42 BST 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:32:31 +0200, Frerich Raabe wrote:

>On Wednesday 02 October 2002 01:03, Dirk Mueller wrote:
>> as we'll announce KDE 3.1 beta2 today, I suggest that we go into the deep
>> freeze period now. Which means:
>>
>> - No further i18n string changes
>
>I'd say fixing existing english strings (like, fixing typos or
>incorrect/outdated explanations of what a program does) can be considered
>bugfixing and thus should be allowed even though it implies changing i18n
>strings.

Translators usually allow for a period of about another 8-10 days after
the freeze for proof reading and fixing this kind of problems. After
that we need a _real_ freeze or we can't make it.

>To avoid the usual "They changed stuff behind our back" threads on
>kde-i18n-doc, we could possibly use something like "Commit message fixes on
>Friday's only" again, which is IMHO a good compromise between the two
>arguments "Fix bugs in the user interface and documentation" and "Avoid
>duplicate work for the translation people.".

Bigger fixes (affecting more than half a dozen strings) should always
be announced on kde-i18n-doc before committing them. The "Friday" thing
is pointless for translators. Since many teams are fighting with
thousands of strings (or even tens of thousands) we want the last
changes as soon as possible, and we want them to _stop_ at some time.
Please be aware that _one_ fix in the original strings ruins _50+_
translations in one go.

Only exception are i18n fixes that make formerly untranslatable strings
accessible to us. This kind of fix can be done until the very last
minute of course.

Regards,

Thomas

---