Maintainership of KMail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Nov 30 18:27:02 GMT 2002

Hi everyone!

On Friday 29 November 2002 10:53, Don Sanders wrote:
> Hi Ingo,
>
> With the make_it_cool changes being merged into HEAD and
> Michael formally retiring it appears there is the chance for some
> outstanding issues to be addressed.
>
> As I wrote to Micheal several months ago before the conflict
> started I do think you have effectively been maintaining
> the KMail package for some time now. And I think it is appropriate
> for you to be recognized as a current KMail maintainer.
>
> I also do have grievances of my own, I would like the fact that
> I adopted the KMail package when it had been adandoned to be
> recognized, and the fact that I am still actively contributing
> to be recognized.
>
> I would like to share maintainership of the KMail package with you.

After discussing this issue a little bit with Don in a short private
mail exchange and proposing an alternative to him that he turned down I
accept this offer since any other solution would put KMail in danger of
a fork. Don already proved that he wouldn't hesitate a second to fork
KMail. I'm a little bit disappointed that he can't accept what
apparently all other KMail core developers agree on (Thanks, guys!).
Whatever. Now that this issue has been resolved we can go back to
work.

> That means we would have the final say about what is accepted into
> KMail. In the hopefully unlikely event of an irreconcilible
> difference of opinion between the two of us I guess it makes sense
> for Coolo, a respected KDE and KMail developer to cast the deciding
> vote.

I'm sure Coolo would do a great job as tie-breaker. But I would prefer
to have all KMail core developers as tie-breakers in case there should
ever be a disagreement between Don and me. I hope it will never be
necessary to break a tie.

> So basically I would like to make the following change to main.cpp
> and resume working with you in HEAD.
>
> +  about.addAuthor( "Ingo Kl\303\266cker", I18N_NOOP("Maintainer"), "kloecker at kde.de" );
> +  about.addAuthor( "Don Sanders", I18N_NOOP("Adopter"), "sanders at kde.org" );

I prefer
+  about.addAuthor( "Ingo Kl\303\266cker", I18N_NOOP("Maintainer"), "kloecker at kde.de" );
+  about.addAuthor( "Don Sanders", I18N_NOOP("Maintainer"), "sanders at kde.org" );
since it doesn't make sense to use different terms for the same job.

BTW, IMO the term "release coordinator" doesn't fit since a
maintainer's job consists of much more tasks than the job of a
release coordinator. This term was only chosen as interim solution
for KDE 3.1.

> -  about.addAuthor( "Michael H\303\244ckel", I18N_NOOP("Current release coordinator"), "haeckel at kde.org" );
> -  about.addAuthor( "Don Sanders", I18N_NOOP("Core developer and former maintainer"), "sanders at kde.org" );
>  about.addAuthor( "Stefan Taferner ", I18N_NOOP("Original author"), "taferner at kde.org" );