Leaving KMail development

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Fri Nov 29 10:18:01 GMT 2002

On Thursday 28 November 2002 9:38 pm, Michael Häckel wrote:

|  Hi,
|
|  I want to tell you that I want to leave KMail development. As completely
| as possible. Reasons for this are as follows.
|
|  KMail has quite some time ago reached a state where it does completely
| fulfill all my personal needs for an e-mail client. Everything I lately
| contributed to KMail was either for other peoples needs or fixing things
| that broke but worked before. This becomes an increasingly unthankful job
| especially if these other people don't like my work, at least those
| shouting loudest. There will probably be always a few people that try to
| convince the developers that KMail is absolutely unusable but according to
| the latest Linux Journal and C't articles it can't be that bad.

Hello Michael!

Thanks a lot for you huge work, and your patience!
KMail is very nice application, and it is very popular.
I really surprised to hear that some people are not happy with it or some of
KMail features...

|  Besides that I'm tired of the huge amount of e-mail it's required to
| handle daily as KDE developer. On mailinglists as well as in private mail.
| Also of the fact that people expect me to be always reachable. Sorry, but
| there is also sometimes a life without computers.

[...]
|  Instead there is a different area where I do have a strong personal need
| but still no usable open source software exists. Maybe because not that
| many people need it. Anyway I started a new project a few weeks ago. I will
| publish it as soon as it has reached usefulness.

Pls let us know how your new project is evolving.
I just hope that it would use some KDE components, and we would see
yet-another wonderful KDE application! :-)

|  For the future of KMail I propose the following:
|  Ingo Klöcker takes over maintainership. Besides that it was proposed to me
|  that the work and responsibility will be shared by sub maintainers where
|  e. g. Marc Mutz wants to take over the config dialog, identities,
| filtering and MIME parsing.
|
|  This proposal is so far agreed by Ingo, Marc and myself. As I recently
| lost my own maintainer title because I tried to care for the quality of
| KMail I don't know what this is worth though. Anyway I don't want to waste
| my time with discussing this anymore, I just don't want to leave without
| having done my best that the project can continue well without me.
|
|  Regards,
|  Michael Häckel

Everything the best to you!

Kind Regards,