kde binary building is not portable :(

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Tue Nov 26 12:32:21 GMT 2002

Hi,

On 25 Nov 2002, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> After a discussion on the libtool list of working around module behavior
> on Darwin, it has become evident that the way KDE treats libtool modules
> is not portable (and apparently is not how you're supposed to use them
> =)

Yes.  Long known problem ;-(

> For those, the NetBSD folks came up with this fix:
> [... The Fix ...]
>
> It seems like this is kind of overkill, but I don't know if maybe it's
> because some kind of weird symbol-loading issue on other platforms...

It's not overkill, it's The Right Way.  (Ok, the actual implementation
by using/creating those helper files explicitely is maintenance burden
and in that way overkill)

> [... Proposal of am_edit hack to automatize that ...]
>
> We've been discussing this on the #kde-devel channel, and it sounds like
> an am_edit macro that does the above transform is the easiest workaround
> for this, and it allows for future removal of kdeinit if that is still a
> goal.
>
> Does this make sense?

Yes.  Actually the NetBSD people tried to repeatedly include the patches
in KDE CVS, and it's more or less my fault (and that the patches arrived
usually just before a new release but were for the older one) that they
aren't.  OTOH am_edit support would be _much_ better and probably happily
accepted (especially because KDE 3.2 should be out already).  bonus points
if the patch is against HEAD ;-)

Ciao,
Michael.