PostScript & Qt [Re: KDE 3.1 final tarballs]

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Tue Nov 26 08:12:45 GMT 2002

On Monday 25 November 2002 10:06 pm, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
|  >>
|  >>I've created the final KDE 3.1 tarballs last night. I will not update
|  >> them anymore unless there is a fix committed for a fatally bug,
|  >> otherwise things have to wait till KDE 3.1.1.
|  >
|  > Does the fact konqi cannot print with cups count as a fatal bug?
|
|  I confirm these facts:
|
|  * that konqi isn't printing any more on my standard office printer:
|     HP LaserJet 8000 ("Mopier") with PostScript Level 2 emulation.

LJ 8000 supports PCL6.  In fact, PCL6 is the *first* language for this device,
and PS2 - second.
Also note tha PostScript in most of HP printers is not original one (not
genuibne Adobe PostScript), so may be HP's implementation is not good enough

|  * konqi prints onto a PostScript Level 3 printer (original Adobe
|     RIP)

Good!

|  * I get this PostScript error for the level 2 printer:
|
|       ERROR: rangecheck
|       OFFENDING COMMAND: image
|       STACK:
|       -dictionary-

Can you try re-encode PS Lev.3 document to PS lev.2 (using GhostScript), and
print resulting PS L2 file?

|  * I can view the konqi printfile just fine, using kprinter --> preview.
|     Both, gv and kghostview do work as previewers. My gs version is
|     SP Ghostscript 7.05.5 (2002-09-02) (my own compilation).

This means that HP's PostScript is broken.
I think quick fix for you would be to tune PS Printer in Qt so that it would
generate PS Lev.2 code only.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons