arts and remote thin clients

Alfred Poschmann aposch at gmx.net
Mon Nov 25 22:12:58 GMT 2002

Am Son, 2002-11-17 um 10.21 schrieb Stephan Binner:
> On Saturday 16 November 2002 23:55, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
>
> > I have a question from the Sunray and Linux thin client crowd.  [..] At any
> > rate, there have been some questions from various people about getting
> > sound out to these thin clients from the central server.  Has anyone had
> > experiance with this?  If not I might be willing to attack this for KDE 3.2,
>
> I have experienced sound on Sunray from arts since KDE 2.2 (from SunE and SunF
> servers, not servers running Linux :-). It's as easy as setting AUDIODEV like
>
>  if [[ -d /tmp/SUNWut && -z "$AUDIODEV" && -n "$CORONA_TOKEN" ]]; then
>      AUDIODEV=`/opt/SUNWut/bin/utaudio`
>      export AUDIODEV
>  fi

I am using a ltsp server with networked sound, but only for non-aRts
X-clients like xmms (there is a precompiled package ltsp-sound.tgz). I
have not been able to get a single beep out of aRts und would apprcciate
this, Ian.

Stephan, Google had no hint for me, do you know a link with more
information on your solution? How could this work for ltsp?

TIA,
Alfred